Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Things I Learned On The Long Weekend


I'm back from my short bloggy break and our first May Long Weekend trip as a family. I'd like to say that I'm also back from having a horrid cold but alas, thats still ongoing. This damn kid. He's brought more plague into our house since he's been born than I can count. All I'm waiting for is the cloud of pestilence to arrive and then I'll know for sure that I've birthed the anti-Christ.

Anyways, we wound up heading over to the next province to stay at a cabin with some good friends, which sounded like a bad idea at the time (what with the fact that my head felt like it was going to explode mucus everywhere) but wound up being fan-freakin-tastic. The location was amazing, the cabins were all circa-1910 with modern additions, and the weather was great. Mace struggled with the drive there and back (I'm snorting as I write this. "Struggled" would be an understatement) and he had a few I-want-to-get-up-super-early-to-enjoy-every-last-second-of-this-trip issues, but other than that, he was chipper and lovin' life. 

It wasn't all fun and games this weekend though ... I did actually learn a few things:

1. Packing for short trips with a baby takes as long, if not longer, than packing for long trips with a baby. And you're bringing the same amount of crap regardless. And its a LOT. And you will be embarrassed each time you stop to fill up for gas because you will look like the friggen Grizwald family from "Family Vacation". I wish I had a pic to show you, but ... oh wait, no I don't.

2. Jamie won't be winning Father of the Year any time soon.
 
Thats right, that is a photo of Jamie on the (small) golf course with a beer in one hand and my only child strapped to his back. This is what happens when the husband decides to "give you a break".

3. Enjoying a late-spring evening is so much nicer with friends and gorgeous scenery.

4. Babies can ruin the only nice family photo you take the entire trip because they don't know to keep their damned eyes open when someone yells "Cheese!"

5. Mace has no fear of huge horses.

6. Mace is terrified of adorable puppies.
That's cutie-patootie Finn from this post a while back. Apparently he likes licking eyeballs. Thats a weird fetish, right?

7. Meals taste nicer when taken outside.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a great time! Everything is always better outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so gald you stopped by my blog so I could find yours...I just LOVE it!! Mace looks like he enjoyed his weekend "roughing" it:) I'm also a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! I must visit there someday! I mean, we must visit ... yeah ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails